NAHS MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS 1/11/2018
During Lunch M-F, C104 w/classmates, peer tutors
After School M-TH., 2:30-3:30, A202 w/peer tutors
+ individual teachers offer before/after school options
Rose-Hulman Homework Hotline-help you with your math and science questions, FREE service with tutors available Sundays – Thursdays, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm (ET). Call a tutor at 877-Ask-Rose (877-275-7673) or chat with a tutor at AskRose.org or e-mail by visiting AskRose.org at any time and they will respond during operating hours.
- Students, you can nominate one teacher per month for Teacher of the Month via the following link. You have to be signed into your school e-mail account to access the link. There will also be hard copies of the form in the main office.
- Congratulations to the NAHS Girls Bowling club on their winning the Southern Hills Sectional championship last night at Blackiston Bowl. Club members are as follows: Erin Bell, Maddison Eger, Alina James, Sarah Kinderman, Kenzie Knight, Jolie Rabideau, Sophie Salomon, Brianna Schoenfeld, and Kayla Yeates. The girls will advance to the Regionals in Evansville on Jan 20th.
- Good luck to all NJROTC Cadets as they take the National Academic Exam today. This is a 100 question test over the entire 4 year curriculum with 550 schools across the country competing. Last year our Cadets came in the top 10% in the country! Good luck Cadets.
- The Throw Me a Bone Pizza Party is being held tomorrow in the Hospitality room on the first floor down the hall from the bank. You would have received an invitation from your 1st or 5th period teachers. Pizza will be served during all of 4th period so come join us. We appreciate your good citizenship! WAY TO GO, BULLDOGS!!!
- From Habitat for Humanity: We are trying to complete our house at 1417 South St in New Albany by the end of February. I am looking for volunteers for Saturdays beginning January 20th through February 24th. The work will be interior work, so everyone will be warm!!!!! Things like painting, caulking, helping with the trim work and installing cabinets. The work day begins at 9:00 am and ends, usually, around 2:00, but we are flexible with both start and stop times. Volunteers must be 16 years old to be on the build site. Anyone over 18 can use the power tools. Your students can form a team or volunteer as individuals. I have attached the liability waiver for those under 18 because parental consent if needed. Any students or student groups interested can contact Karen Carmickle at Habitat for Humanity, 812-948-1235.
- Attached is a flyer announcing a volunteer opportunity for students coming up on Sunday, February 18th, for assisting with the Gilda’s Club Louisville race.
- Any student who has taken part in Community Service of any type this school year, please submit a description of the service, along with your full name, to Mrs. Lacy in the main office. We will begin posting students’ pictures and their community service involvement on the board across from the health office. You can also e-mail the description and your name to Dr. Ginkins at email@example.com .
We look forward to filling the board!
Do you love to read? Would you like to be a part of the English Academic Team? This year’s theme is World War I. Join us for an informational meeting! All grade levels are welcome! Come on Tuesday, January 16th to Mrs. Ponder’s room C312 at 2:30 PM. See flyer for more information.
- Students interested in joining the NAHS Computer Programming Team need to attend a short meeting after school today. See Kristin Scott in B117 with any questions.
- FAFSA Friday information is in the attached flyer. An IU Southeast Financial Aid Counselor will be in the Senior Loft this Friday. Any questions before then, see Mrs. McGuirk.
- The Floyd County Redevelopment Commission would like to make you aware of a high school entrepreneur pitch competition taking place throughout Indiana: Ball State University, in conjunction with the Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC) is hosting a one-of-a-kind pitch competition open to all high school students in the state of Indiana. This competition will serve high school innovators who have an idea for a business, product, service, technology component, or other venture that helps identify Indiana as THE place to start and grow a business or other venture that helps drive the state forward and sustain economic success. https://innovatewithin.org/competition-details Also, the Floyd County Redevelopment Commission would be willing to provide some guidance and feedback to any student or group as they prepare a proposal for the event. Any interested student/student group can contact Don Lopp Director of Operations and County Planning Pine View Government Center (812) 948.4110. Deadline to apply is 2/5/18.
- The Duke Energy Academy at Purdue University is an immersive program for high-achieving high school juniors and seniors (as of fall, 2018), and secondary science teachers. During the week-long course on STEM-related energy topics, participants will be provided with resources and incentives to inspire both students and teachers in sustainable energy solutions. The program is free to all participants. The application deadline is 1/16/18. CLICK HERE TO ACCESS ONLINE APPLICATION
- Indiana’s 38 electric cooperatives are accepting applications from high school students for the Indiana Electric Cooperative Page Day program. The Electric Cooperative Page Days are held in Indianapolis at the Indiana Statehouse. Page Day is an interactive, educational experience that allows students the opportunity to learn about the daily activities that take place in the Statehouse during the legislative session. All applicants must be high school students and have adequate transportation to and from the Statehouse. The application deadline is Jan. 22 (for Wednesday, Jan. 31) or Jan. 29 (for Wednesday, Feb. 1). See attachments.
NAHS EVENTS/ADDITIONAL INFO:
- Homecoming queen and king court nominations will take place during lunch today in the hallway near the cafeteria. Nominate someone in your own grade only.
Homecoming court will be announced later this month and the homecoming crowning will take place on Thursday, January 25 at the girls’ game and Friday, January 26 at the boys’ game.
- Bank is open today.
- The 4th Annual Teachers Got Talent is January 23rd at 7PM in the auditorium. Come see your teachers perform on stage in musical acts and skits and exhibit artwork in our teacher’s art gallery. You will also be able to bid on teacher produced Silent Auction items and even a few gift ideas for Valentine’s Day. It is always a fun event and a fun time for all. See Mr. Jacobi for $3 advance tickets or you can get them during lunch next week. They will be $5 at the door. You won’t want to miss the Teachers Synchronized Swimming Routine!
- Did you know: NAHS has a clothing closet stocked with clothes, shoes, socks, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc? Also, if your family is in need of food we can provide a box of non-perishable items to your family. If you or someone you know needs food, clothes, or personal hygiene products please see Mrs. Nolan or your counselor.
- The Prosser Open House will be Thursday, January 18, 2018 from 5:30-7:30pm. Attached is the information for the event.
- Our Dunks for Blessings game sponsor on Saturday, January 13 is Todd Coleman’s Classic Furniture.
For every basketball slam DUNK during Saturday’s Varsity basketball game Todd Coleman’s Classic Furniture will make a $100 generous donation to Blessings in a Backpack! See flyer for more information.
- Student tickets will be on sale in the Athletic Office for the away game at Madison this Friday.
Tickets are 5.00 dollars. See Mr. Breeding.
- Please join us for our next PTO meeting on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. This meeting will be held at the Griffin Rec.Center (1140 Griffin St., New Albany). If you are interested in helping with the After Prom, this meeting will be especially important! We hope to see you there! E-Mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Please join the PTO!! There are so many benefits for all. https://donorbox.org/nahs-pto-membership
- Help support our NAHS PTO by enrolling in Kroger Rewards! Every time you shop, we earn money! Enrollment will work the same way as the past. You can sign up on www.kroger.com or call 1-800-
KROGERS, option 3. Be sure to choose NEW ALBANY PTO!
- Boys 9th Basketball versus Henryville 6:00 PM Away
Fans, remember to know and demonstrate the fundamentals of sportsmanship at all events. Stimulate desired crowd response using only positive cheers, signs and praise without antagonizing or demeaning opponents (http://www.ihsaa.org/MembershipServices/Sportsmanship.aspx).