During Lunch M-F, C104 w/classmates, peer tutors
After School M-TH., 2:30-3:30, A202 w/peer tutors
+ individual teachers offer before/after school options
- Any student who has taken part in Community Service of any type this school year, please submit a description of the service, along with your full name, to Mrs. Lacy in the main office. We will begin posting students’ pictures and their community service involvement on the board across from the health office. You can also e-mail the description and your name to Dr. Ginkins at firstname.lastname@example.org .
We look forward to filling the board!
- Students, you can nominate one teacher per month for Teacher of the Month via the following link. You have to be signed into your school e-mail account to access the link. There will also be hard copies of the form in the main office.
- Rose-Hulman Homework Hotline-help you with your math and science questions, FREE service with tutors available Sundays – Thursdays, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm (ET). Call a tutor at 877-Ask-Rose (877-275-7673) or chat with a tutor at AskRose.org or e-mail by visiting AskRose.org at any time and they will respond during operating hours.
- All sophomores please look at a great leadership program through NEXGEN. Flier is attached above.
- Attentions seniors… Ms. McGuirk has a new scholarship list that includes a $2000 scholarship for seniors interested is nursing. See her in the senior loft for details.
- Attention Juniors:
Juniors who are interested in participating in AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY GIRLS STATE PRORGRAM should see Ms. Stewart in the Counseling Office for an application. Each summer, approximately 20,000 young women participate in the weeklong program. This year it will be held at Trine University in Angola, Indiana. The dates will be June 24-30 2018.
Go to http://www.aladeptin.org for more information about HOOSIERS GIRLS STATE. Applications are due back to Ms. Stewart by February 21, 2018.
- Americanism Essay Contest – Each year, the American Legion Auxiliary sponsors an Americanism Essay Contest for students grades 3-12. Winners will receive $50 and a $50 donation in the student’s name will be made to the Children of Warriors National Presidents’ Scholarship fund. Please see the attachment for additional information. The deadline for judging at the local level is March 1, 2018.
- Students, check out the following link for information on IUPUI’s Math Contest, with scholarship opportunities: https://math.iupui.edu/math/highschoolmathcontest
- FAFSA Friday information is in the attached flyer. An IU Southeast Financial Aid Counselor will be in the Senior Loft this Friday. Any questions before then see Mrs. McGuirk.
NAHS EVENTS/ADDITIONAL INFO:
- The Bake Sale for Meg England will be Wednesday Feb.14 – Friday Feb 16. Everything is $1.00.
- Those seniors who were selected to participate in the NAEP exam will receive a test ticket from their 1st or 5th period teacher. Testing will take place on Thursday, February 15th in B204 at either the start of 1st or 5th period.
- The Harry Potter Club Members will be selling items off the “trolley” during club time on Wednesday. Bring your money and get some sweets for your sweet for a great cause.
- All students should have received an e-mail from Dr. Ginkins on Thursday, 2/8/18. Please take the survey via the link included in that e-mail. Your responses will help guide NAHS and district initiatives and planning related to technology. Thank you, in advance.
- The BFC will be closed today. We will reopen tomorrow Valentine’s Day. Stop by to see us for a Valentine treat.
- You can still sign up for New Albany’s hottest fundraising dance party! Go to donate.rileykids.org to register for the NAHS Dance Marathon today! Direct any questions to Ms. Ricke, Ms. Lewis, or a dance marathon student participant. “In addition to online registration, there will be the option to register in person during lunch this week.”
- Lost & found items will be donated on Friday, February 16. If you have lost an item such as a lunch box, jacket, hat, shoes, eyeglasses, etc., please stop by the Main office to check for you item.
- Check out the following link for additional information on our IB Programme. Talk to your counselor to be directed to additional information.
NAHS IB Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnHngPJaR4#action=share
- Don’t miss out. Get your tickets to see Godspell coming up February 16, 17, 18 and 23, 24, and 25th. See the flyer for details.
- Students, when you receive your SAT results, make sure you take advantage of linking your results to Khan Academy for individualized practice. Here is a short video with the 3 steps you must take to link them: linking their College Board and Khan Academy online accounts and unlocking their free, personalized SAT study plan.
Research shows that studying on Official SAT Practice for 20 hours is associated with an average score gain of 115 points from the PSAT/NMSQT to the SAT—nearly double the average score gain compared to students who don’t use Khan Academy. See your counselor if you have any questions.
- Did you know: NAHS has a clothing closet stocked with clothes, shoes, socks, toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc? Also, if your family is in need of food we can provide a box of non-perishable items to your family. If you or someone you know needs food, clothes, or personal hygiene products please see Mrs. Nolan or your counselor.
- Attention all Juniors: there are NEW shot requirements for next school year! You will need to have 2 doses of the hepatitis A vaccine as well as 2 doses of the meningitis vaccine (MCV4). Please make sure you have all of those required vaccines for the start of next school year!! If you have any questions or concerns please stop by the health office for more information.
SUMMER & OTHER PROGRAMS:
- All are invited to Purdue Polytechnic New Albany’s Open House on Thursday, March 1 from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Open House is a great time to come out for a visit to see what Purdue Polytechnic New Albany has to offer, tour classrooms and labs, meet faculty and staff, and learn about the admissions process. Attached is a flyer and any further questions you may contact email@example.com.
- Students, view the following link for information on the Indiana Association of School Principals’ Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest. Entries are due by 2/28/18. http://www.iasp.org/pdf/mlkentryform.pdf
- Summer Programs at Stanford University: We offer programs across a wide variety of disciplines including arts, humanities, science, and math, giving highly motivated students the opportunity to investigate advanced topics not typically taught in secondary schools. Link: https://spcs.stanford.edu/programs?utm_source=counselors&utm_medium=email
- What: Bake Sale for Meg England
Where: Lunchtime on Wednesday, Thursday & Friday
A Bake sale will be held to for Meg and her family. Items will be sold during lunchtime. Please support this important fundraiser!!
- Students looking for volunteer experience, check this out!
To apply to be eligible as a Summer VolunTeen, teens must complete the following by March 1, 2018:
- Complete and return the VolunTeen application
- Complete and return a medical form
- Sign and return a VolunTeen/Parent Contract
- Complete and return two reference forms (one must be from a teacher/counselor/principal)
*Forms are available on our website at www.kysciencecenter.org/volunteer or athttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ey2V1_HhcoJGFRVLQhOb66tXmufU0ZAW/view
- From Habitat for Humanity: We are trying to complete our house at 1417 South St in New Albany by the end of February. I am looking for volunteers for Saturdays through February 24th. The work will be interior work, so everyone will be warm!!!!! Things like painting, caulking, helping with the trim work and installing cabinets. The work day begins at 9:00 am and ends, usually, around 2:00, but we are flexible with both start and stop times. Volunteers must be 16 years old to be on the build site. Anyone over 18 can use the power tools. Your students can form a team or volunteer as individuals. I have attached the liability waiver for those under 18 because parental consent if needed. Any students or student groups interested can contact Karen Carmickle at Habitat for Humanity, 812-948-1235
- Attached is a flyer announcing a volunteer opportunity for students coming up on Sunday, February 18th, for assisting with the Gilda’s Club Louisville race?
- There is a Free Chamber Music Recital on Tuesday, February 20. See flyer for details.
- Pollinator Day is a free, family-friendly event packed with hands-on activities for all ages. Activities include beehive tours, building your own hummingbird feeder and native bee nest, planting for pollinators, crafts for the kids, and more. There will be classes on pollinators, pollinator habitat needs, basic beekeeping, and cooking with honey. Local vendors also will be present selling garden and nature related items. Attendees will receive a free t-shirt while supplies last. A complimentary lunch will be provided.
Pollinator Day will be hosted by the Purdue Extension Floyd County at the Purdue Research Park at 3000 Technology Ave., New Albany, IN on April 28th from 10:00 am-3:00 pm.
- See attached for an opportunity for students to volunteer at the KY Science Center this summer. It is a great way to learn more about STEP-related careers and share your passion for science and learning with others.
- U of L School of Public Health and Information sciences Preview Day to learn about degree programs in public health-2/24/18. See attached for information.
- See the attachments regarding St. Mark’s Neighborhood Health Fair (free eye glasses, flu shots, dental screenings, haircuts, and much more). It takes place 2/24/18.
- Any young lady who is interested in coming out for Track and Field, the first practice is Monday. We will meet at the track at 2:45 PM. Come be a part of this year’s teams!!
- Please join the PTO!! There are so many benefits for all. https://donorbox.org/nahs-pto-membership
- Help support our NAHS PTO by enrolling in Kroger Rewards! Every time you shop, we earn money! Enrollment will work the same way as the past. You can sign up on www.kroger.com or call 1-800-
KROGERS, option 3. Be sure to choose NEW ALBANY PTO!
Athletic Events: No Events
Fans, remember to know and demonstrate the fundamentals of sportsmanship at all events. Stimulate desired crowd response using only positive cheers, signs and praise without antagonizing or demeaning opponents (http://www.ihsaa.org/MembershipServices/Sportsmanship.aspx).