The first high school in New Albany was opened on the first Monday in October, 1853. Known as Scribner High School, it was located at West Fourth and Spring Streets. This was the beginning of New Albany High School, the oldest high school in the state, according to the records of the State Department of Public Instruction.
After only one year of operation, the high school was closed when the Indiana Supreme Court ruled that collection of taxes for high school use was unlawful. School was held irregularly from that date as funds from private sources were available.
A long history
From 1859 to 1864, the school was closed completely. During this time, the high school building was leased to the United States Government as a hospital for Union soldiers.
In September 1864, the high school reopened and since then has been in continuous operation in various locations. In the fall of 1870, the boys and girls were divided and sent to separate high school. The boys continued in the Scribner building and the name was changed to Boys’ High School. Female High School was located on Spring Street at the northeast corner of Bank Street. The schools were consolidated again in 1880 and the boys and girls both attended the high school at Spring and Bank Streets.
In 1902, the high school building was torn down to make way for the Carnegie Library building. In 1902-03, the high school was located in the Frisbee House at East Sixth and Spring Streets.
From 1903 to 1905, it was located in the DePauw college building at East Main and Ninth Streets. In 1905, a new high school opened at East Sixth and Spring Streets.
The high school continued in this location until 1927 when the present building was opened. An addition was made to this building in 1942 and now houses building, administration/counseling, and radio. The high school annex, originally built as an elementary school in 1892, was first used by the high school in 1941 and housed language classes, a modern language laboratory, and student theater until 1979. The swimming pool is located where the building once stood. In 1955, the industrial arts and band classes moved into a new building, formerly Unit E. An eleven room and basement addition to this building was completed in the fall of 1962.
Extensive renovation of the plant was started with Phase I in 1971-72. This included the renovation of the heating system and the inclusion of air conditioning.
Phase II, the renovation of the kitchen facilities, was completed in the summer of 1973.
Phase III began in October, 1974, and was an extensive renovation of the gymnasium.
Phase IV, 1979-82, was a major construction project. Units C, D, and F, which housed science, home economics, fine arts, horticulture, laboratories, the library, and the swimming pool, were built during this phase. Remodeling of the administration and counseling suite, radio station, theatre, and cafeteria areas was extensive. New student lockers, ceiling and lights, and corridor doors gave NAHS a modern “facelift.”
NAHS began working with an architectural firm in 1997 to plan a major renovation. This renovation would upgrade the present facility and build additional classrooms to “bring back” the ninth grade classes of Hazelwood Junior High School and Scribner Junior High School. These classes have been moved out of the junior highs and NAHS has once again became a 9-12 high school. To accommodate the curriculum and growth in the student body, the number of classrooms has increased from 73 to 121.
The construction/renovation project began in the spring of 1998 and was completed February 2002. The construction gave the high school new administrative/counseling areas, athletic offices, clinic, bookstore, cafeteria/kitchen areas, performing arts, auditorium, business classrooms, media center, radio/TV suite, auxiliary gym, science labs, special needs facilities, music department and upgrades to art, English, foreign language, social studies, and math areas as well as the gymnasium and locker room areas. The football field, tennis courts, and playing fields were relocated. The bus drop off areas were moved to a much safer and convenient area on Locust Street and the rear turnaround area. A total upgrade of the heating and air conditioning systems, lockers, windows, and flooring have left NAHS with a modern facility while still retaining the traditional look on the Vincennes Street side of the building.
The main entrance has been relocated off of Bulldog Boulevard and directs visitors to an atrium leading to all areas of the building. This expansive renovation and addition was designed to accommodate the growing demands of the school community and should prepare New Albany High School for the twenty-first century.
New Albany High School is dedicated to developing lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
New Albany High School is a part of the New Albany-Floyd County School Corporation which serves nearly 11,000 students in Floyd County, Indiana. New Albany High School opened in 1853. It is the first public high school in the state. The current site of the high school opened in 1927. Several additions and renovations have updated the building, the last completed in April 2002. New Albany High School has two gymnasiums, the performing arts wing made up of choir, band, orchestra, and theater facilities, and a radio/TV station which airs on 88.1 and Cable Channel 25. NAHS also operates an FDIC insured bank, the Bulldog Financial Corner (BFC). Students may choose from over 100 courses of study, which include Advanced Placement courses in Computer Science, English Composition, English Literature, Calculus, Statistics, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physics, Economics, Human Geography, US Government, US History, Studio Art 2D, Studio Art 3D, and Art History, along with dual credit courses articulated with Ivy Tech State College. A six-year math program is coordinated with two middle schools, and computer-based language courses are also offered to students before entering New Albany High School. In a carefully developed four-year curriculum, the language arts classes prepare students for college and careers. A comprehensive band, orchestra, choir, drama, and visual arts program affords New Albany students the opportunity to showcase their talents. As a member of the Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) the Bulldogs are represented by hundreds of young people in athletic contests, and students have the opportunity during the school day to explore a wide variety of extra-curricular interests through an extensive club program.
New Albany High School is an authorized International Baccalaureate World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to a high quality, challenging, international education that the Bulldogs believe is important for our students. Only schools authorized by the IB Organization can offer any of its three academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP), the Middle Years Programme (MYP), or the Diploma Programme (and in addition the IB Career-related Certificate). For additional information about the IB and its programmes, visit www.ibo.org.
The NAHS athletic program offers many opportunities for students to excel. We are members of the Hoosier Hills Athletic Conference. Throughout the history of New Albany High School we have earned 73 Conference Championships, 242 Sectional Championships, 62 Regional Championships, made 16 Final Four appearances, and won four team State Championships. Additionally, the Rifle Team won a State Championship in 2011, 2012, and 2013. The NJROTC program was recognized as a Distinguished Unit for the sixth consecutive year of the scholar program. The first class graduated in June, 2014.